Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Banana, are you sure?



I made this first birthday smash cake for a sweet, really sweet baby boy named Desmond. (he is the Tutu from the last cake) Desmond loves bananas so his parents thought it would be so fun to give him a cake that looked like a banana. I'll try anything so of course I said "I would love to do it".
I made a pound cake and froze it. After a few days, I took it out of the freezer and started carving. Using a real banana as a model, I colored vanilla butter cream and covered the cake. I added cocoa powder to the ends and along some edges to give the appearance of brown spots. This was intended to be a practice cake, but I was really pleased with the result so, it became the cake I presented.
I went to the birthday party and got to witness the fun. Regrettably, I forgot my camera. Hopefully I can get some action pictures from the parents to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment