Saturday, May 21, 2011

Club Penguin Birthday Cake


A friend of mine asked me if I could make a "Club Penguin" birthday cake for her granddaughter. I said "sure, what is Club penguin?" I really had never heard of it, but why would I? Anyway, she brought over pictures of some cakes that had been made with "Club Penguin" characters so I would have some idea what I was getting into. It seemed simple enough to do.......
I had never made 3D figures for a cake before. So I did some research and found out how to use rice cereal treats to make them. That was the easy part. Covering them in fondant, which I initially thought would be easy, was more challenging than I imagined. I figured it out after some trial and error and maybe a few curses too. They did turn out pretty decent for a first attempt. 
They were huge, totally out of scale for an 8" cake, but I made it work!

Boxing it up was another challenge. Here is a picture of the" jimmy rig" I did. I set another cake box over the cardboard sides that I taped on.

1 comment:

  1. You did more than make it work! You had 6 little girls, a mom and grandmother CRAZY over this cake... what a great job!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete