Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Blue





 
I had the honor of making my mothers 80th birthday cake. There was a cake that I saw on Gesina's blog called  "The Lovers, The Dreamers and Me". I was going to make it for my daughters college graduation party but just did not have the time because of my kitchen remodel. I finally got to try it out for this occasion. I did it a little differently though. I used regular butter cream instead of italian meringue butter cream, I used vanilla extract in place of lemon extract and finally, I used a different color scheme. Blue is my mothers favorite color so I thought I would make different shades of blue. I was surprised when some of my colors were kinda green, then I realized this was because the cake batter was yellow. It was still incredibly pretty, not to mention delicious! Everyone said it was the best cake they ever had! 
The flowers on top are made from blossom fondant. The centers of the flowers are corn syrup with the most amazing sugar sprinkles that I almost didn't buy.
As you can see, I had a hard time squaring it off. I frosted it at my parents house and did not have enough butter cream to make it properly square, but that's okay, we all enjoyed it, especially the birthday girl!

1 comment:

  1. I am really amazed at how beautiful this cake was! You're a talented lady!!

    ReplyDelete